In the Asheville Half, held on the grounds at Biltmore Estate, runners will explore 13.1 miles through America’s largest backyard. The Asheville Marathon halfers will wind through hardwood forests, meadows, gardens, and extraordinary views of the estate. Along the way, runners will pass landmarks including Biltmore House and gardens, America’s largest and most esteemed private residence. The 250-room French Renaissance chateau, perched over 8,000-acres of meticulously-tended gardens, is host to a million visitors a year. To learn more about Biltmore, visit www.biltmore.com or call 877-BILTMORE.
The half marathon is run entirely on private property on the scenic grounds of the Biltmore Estate. It will cover the east (mostly paved) side of the Estate. During the event, vehicular traffic will be very limited and controlled. Bib chip timing will be used for the event. Pre-race training on location prior to the event is prohibited since the entire course is on the private property of the Biltmore Estate. All participants must be off the course by 3 1/2 hr time restriction.
The privilege of running around the estate on race day is exclusive to race day only. There is no pre-event course preview or running allowed due to the private nature of the estate and the off-limit areas that our event covers during the events.
Visit our RACE DAY TIMELINE To see the whole schedule for the Marathon!
Like sprockets on a cog, runners will travel round and round at dizzying paces as they make their rounds upon the grounds of this enchanted estate. Participants will take in all manner of breathtaking sights and sounds as they complete loop after loop of the estate and its proximity. Beginning at Antler Hill Village and its many shops and attractions, the first loop will waft exquisite aromas from the kitchens of Deerpark Restaurant into the nostrils of competitors: surely a breath of fresh air to lungs that will no doubt be burning in the miles to come. Next, the course will lead to the site of the world-renowned Biltmore House itself, almost close enough to reach out and touch the doors to the main entrance.
Immediately thereafter, the journey will proceed into the Walled Garden. As the House’s splendid architecture gives way to horticultural marvels, the meandering route winds along the Azalea Garden and lagoon.
With the broad-shouldered French Broad coursing within its nearby banks, there will occur a transition to dirt carriage roads. Here full marathon entrants will head towards the “wild west side” of the estate via a newly built bridge while half marathoners, turn around and finish their final three miles on their way up to the finish area at Antler Village.
Depending on the device you are using, the half marathon has approximately 500 feet elevation change and the full marathon has 1,000 feet of elevation change.
After crossing the finish line, halfers will get to partake in all the festivities and delightful shops at the village. Do you have what it takes to tackle “The Beast of the East” and make this early spring regal gala upon Biltmore your crowning achievement?
Our water stations provide a variety of options and choices to support your race experience and personal preference. We offer gels and electrolyte drinks and many stations will have a selection of fruit and cookies. All stations will have water.
Vote for your favorite volunteer water station after the race, and select a volunteer group, like our 2015 winner Girls on the Run of Western NC, to get crowned as Volunteer Water Station of the Year! More information about the Water Station Contest on our Volunteer Info page.
GET TO KNOW YOUR FULL MARATHON WATER STATIONS:
- Deerpark – Mile 2 – Water Only
- Crossfit Pisgah – Biltmore House – Mile 5 – CLIF Gels, GATORADE electrolyte drink
- Boy Scouts of Black Mountain Troup – 42Bearpen – Mile 7 1/2 & 23 1/2 – GATORADE electrolyte drink, CLIF Gels, Coke, CLIF Bars, Fruit & Cookies
- French Broad River – Mile 9, 22 1/2 & 24 1/2 – GATORADE electrolyte drink, CLIF Gels, Coke, CLIF Bars, Fruit & Cookies
- West Side Bridge – Mile 11 (marathon only) – GATORADE electrolyte drink, CLIF Gels, Coke, CLIF Bars, Fruit & Cookies
- Alta Vista – Mile 12 1/2 & 13 1/2 (marathon only) – GATORADE electrolyte drink, CLIF Gels, Coke, CLIF Bars, Fruit & Cookies
- Pine Top – Mile 15 1/2 (marathon only) – GATORADE electrolyte drink, CLIF Gels, Coke, CLIF Bars, Fruit & Cookies
- Line House Road/Finish – Mile 18 & 20 (marathon), Mile 11 & 12.5 (half marathon) — GATORADE electrolyte drink, CLIF Gels, Coke, CLIF Bars, Fruit & Cookies
GET TO KNOW YOUR HALF MARATHON WATER STATIONS:
- Deerpark – Mile 2 – Water Only
- Biltmore House – Mile 5 – CLIF Gels, GATORADE electrolyte drink
- Bearpen – Mile 7 1/2 – GATORADE electrolyte drink, CLIF Gels, Coke, CLIF Bars, Fruit & Cookies
- Young Life – Lagoon– Mile 9 – GATORADE electrolyte drink, CLIF Gels, Coke, CLIF Bars, Fruit & Cookies
- Consider Haiti – Line House Road/Finish – Mile 11 & 12.5 (half marathon) – CLIF Gels, GATORADE electrolyte drink, Coke, CLIF Bars, Fruit & Cookies
Your Water Station Organizations
Along the French Broad River, near Antler Hill Village, and at the ‘West Side Bridge’ there will be great spots for family and friends to see the runner several different times during the event. This area will be the designated cheering locations and spectator viewing. For more detailed information, visit our Spectators page.
Although we have professional photographers on the marathon course, runners are encouraged to bring a camera for special photo opportunities. You won’t want to miss the chance to capture this day with your own memorable photographs. See official photos on our Race Photography page.
The Asheville Marathon is a certified race course and a Boston Marathon Qualifying event! USATF Sanction #16-13-044 and Certification Code #NC14024DF
Join our volunteer team!
It takes hundreds of volunteers to make the Asheville Marathon & Half run smoothly. Seize the opportunities to volunteer at this event to come and check it out or do a little extra if you are racing this weekend. We take good care of our volunteers with food, drinks, and a comfy volunteer t-shirt.