AMBASSADOR PROGRAMInterested in being an ambassador for the incredible Asheville Marathon and Half? Scroll down to learn all about the ambassador program and how to apply!
Part of being a race ambassador is not only to represent this fabulous race but to also give us input and spread the word throughout your city, region and state about this one-of-a-kind destination race. In order to work best together we do have some expectations of our race ambassadors to make this experience mutually wonderful for you and for the race. We will ask you to assist us at race expos throughout the region in the fall and winter, be available to assist for a few hours on race weekend at our expo or packet pickup and spread the word about the event through your blog and social networks all year long. In return you will be part of a network of awesome running fans, get super cool race swag, free entries, comp hotel rooms and more. You get out of this ambassador program, what you put into it, so please be sure you have some time and energy to commit to being an ambassador before you click ‘yes’ below to say that you accept the offer of being a race ambassador!
Ambassador Perks (the list is growing!)
- A Complimentary Registration for the Full or Half Marathon
- Official Asheville Marathon Ambassador Race Gear
- Discounts on VIP Packages
- Your bio, photo, and social media links on our website
- Special swag and gifts from our sponsors
- Feature on the Asheville Marathon blog, Facebook, and Twitter
- Additional Opportunities during race weekend, based on ambassadorial involvement
- Complimentary Hotel stays on race weekend
- A group of amazing AMA runner friends with whom you can connect through social media, meet-up runs, and more!
Please note: Ambassadors do NOT receive financial compensation of any kind. This is strictly and purely a volunteer role, not employee, freelance or contractor. We do not subsidize travel or training expenses or issue payment of any kind. Ambassadors serve from July to June, and encouraged to reapply to continue on future years.
- Blogging, Facebook shares and tweeting regularly about upcoming news from the Asheville Marathon & Half. Each month we will have various ideas for you, but be creative, have fun with this! We also want you to lead and guide new and inexperienced runners through their training process on our behalf, motivate and inspire our runners, and share your story! We encourage frequent communication and love to hear about your running goals and accomplishments.
- Collateral distribution in your hometown where runners might go (like running stores, local races, etc., pretty much wherever you go)
- Spreading the word about The Asheville Marathon & Half events and answering questions (local running clubs, social media, blogging, etc. as examples) as well as wearing Asheville Marathon & Half apparel when participating in your running community.
- Participation in the Race Planning Feedback Forums and Surveys (you are our research team to help us better serve the running community!)
- Race Weekend support at the race expo and packet pickup. AMA’s must be available for a minimum 4 hour shift at the race expo or packet pickup on either Friday or Saturday to represent the AMA team.
- Race Expo Outreach: Ambassadors are expected to assist at a Regional Race Expo on behalf of the Asheville Marathon and Half.
- Additional opportunities for our Ambassadors first: Including pre-race interviews and news stories, merchandise giveaways, Pace Team invitations, sponsor product giveaways and inclusion in special Race weekend events.
- New AMA Option – Race Weekend Staff: Are you not so socially savvy but you want to be part of the Asheville Marathon Staff? Join us as race weekend staff instead! Email email@example.com for more info.
Does being an Asheville Marathon & Half Ambassador sound like something for you?
OUR AMBASSADORS FOR 2020 HAVE BEEN SELECTED! IF YOU WERE NOT SELECTED, PLEASE CONSIDER JOINING US IN 2021!
Race Expo/Bib Pickup
Friday, March 19, 2021
Location: DoubleTree by Hilton, 115 Hendersonville Rd, Asheville, NC 28803
Saturday, March 20, 2021
Time: Wave Starts - 7:30am until 8:50am
Location: Biltmore Estate
Course Type: Loop
Stroller friendly? No
Disability friendly? Yes, non wheeled equipment only
Dogs allowed? No
Weather: Spring in the mountains means anything can happen. Wear layers!
Exclusive Early Entry opening for 2020 Participants only - January 7, 2021 thru January 10th at midnight, General Public Registration opens January 11, 2021 (if spots are still available)
*Entries are limited and this race will sell out quickly.
The 2021 half marathon course will be like none other, a truly one-of-a-kind experience. We can't wait for you to experience running entirely on the estate over new terrain and with new views. The new course is designed with runner and community safety, social distancing and beauty in mind and will be run for the 2021 event only. We expect for the course to change back to the original half marathon course in 2022 and beyond.
Runners will have the privilege to run and explore the west side of the estate. This area is typically off-limits for guests and only our Marathon participants have had the honor of running on this side of the estate. For this year only, we have re-designed the course so that the start is close to the House and the finish is in Antler Hill Village (as it has been in the past). Visit the Course page for more info.
Due to the nature of this new course and for social-distance measures to be implemented throughout the race experience, runners will be shuttled to the start line from either DoubleTree Hotel in Biltmore Village or the AB-Tech parking lots. There is no on-site at the start line parking available for this year's 2021 race. Shuttle tickets are included in your registration fee. Temperature and COVID screenings will be implented prior to boarding the shuttle on race day. Face Coverings are required in the shuttle, before and after you start your run, Currently, face coverings are not required while you are running. Visit the Transportation page for more info.
Asheville Regional Airport — 25-30 minutes
Greenville Spartanburg International Airport — 1 hr. 15 minutes
Charlotte — 2 hours
Driving Directions to Biltmore Estate
Google Maps Directions
We recommend looking for lodging at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Asheville or stay next door at the Hampton Inn. These two hotels are the most convenient locations to get a race morning shuttle to and from the race. Visit our Hotel page for more info.
We are taking the COVID-19 virus very seriously and are taking the necessary precautions to put on a safe, socially distanced event for our runners. Please visit our COVID-19 Guidelines page. If you would like to skip Packet Pick-up, we will mail your race bib and swag for you if you register by . This option is available when you register online.
The 2021 event registration has purposely been postponed for opening until we were closer to the event to ensure that the event would be possible given the pandemic and NC State restrictions on event gatherings. The permit for the 2021 event with the Biltmore Estate has been approved.
In order to plan this event in the short time-frame that we have left to us before the March race, our team will be working full-time beginning in January 2021, to provide this world-class race experience to you. We also will be purchasing race materials such as shirts, finisher medals and awards. Due to the expenses we will be incurring for production of this event prior to the event taking place, should a government shutdown occur due to the pandemic or an act of God take place, we will NOT be able to provide a refund to you should you want to cancel your registration, or if the event itself has to be cancelled. We are in good faith taking every step possible to ensure that the 2021 event will take place. However, there are things that are outside our control, including government shut-downs. In the event of a government shutdown, all in person race entries will be switched to virtual/self-serve race option.
Above all else, we are striving to make this race as safe as it can possibly be for all our participants, volunteers and staff. If you are feeling unwell (or uncomfortable participating) we want you to stay home, stay safe and join us next year without feeling like you're losing out. In order to make that happen, we are offering flexible options so participants can make responsible decisions based on their help. Please see the Guidelines page for more information about these options.