Immediately following the success of last year’s inaugural Asheville Marathon on Biltmore Estate, we went straight to work brainstorming to make the second edition even better. With deliberation, ingenuity, and the wise consul of our participants, we have taken advice and formulated solutions and ran with them… literally!
Now, we would like to share with you what 2014 has in store for the Asheville Marathon, and we hope to get you as riled up with enthusiasm as we are over these upgrades!
Our foremost and premier elevation to a next level racing experience is the addition of a Half Marathon event to the race. This added event will be run completely on the east side of the Biltmore estate and will follow much of the same marathon route for the first ten miles of the race. For those speedsters among you, as well as those of you who may feel a little intimidated by a full marathon so early in the race season, this new half proffers you the chance to enjoy the marvelous Biltmore racing experience, all the while staying in your own race element.
The added fun doesn’t end with the new half… Not by a long shot! We have modified the marathon course in hopes of making it an even better running experience for you. Several flat miles along the French Broad River on the east side of the estate have been added to the course: so you can better pursue that Boston Qualifying time and the time of your life to boot! Some of the trickier footing and hillier sections on the less-traveled carriage roads on the west side of the course have been removed from the marathon miles. However, don’t let these course upgrades fool you, completing a partial road and off-road marathon (heck, any marathon for that matter) is still tough so prep yourself for running on a variety of surfaces (road, dirt, gravel, rocky) for this one-of-a-kind marathon experience.
Also new to 2014, we have improved finish area and post-race festivities and celebrations in the sophisticated surroundings of Antler Village. This means closer access to the estate activities and amenities during the race for spectators and a festive atmosphere for the post-race party.
Additional 2014 Biltmore Marathon & Half attractions and upgrades:
· Original, inimitable and updated finisher awards produced with the help of WNC’s own best artists
· Superb quality and updated race tees with a broader selection of sizes to choose from
· Entertainment & music along your 26.2 mile journey across America’s largest backyard
· Additional Water Stations – (i.e. the first water station will be a couple miles into the race at Deerpark Restaurant)
· A later race date in March to hopefully mitigate the uncharacteristically bitter cold we faced in 2013
· Shuttle Service – has now been added and open to all participants both local or visiting the area at various locations in Asheville
· A 30-minute later start time for you to sleep in just a wee bit longer on race morning
· Food! Upgraded pre-event dinner at the Hilton Hotel in the newly Biltmore Park in S. Asheville and a wider selection of post-race food
· Additional expo space at DoubleTree Hotel for our old favorites and new vendors
· Enhanced lighting from the parking area to the new start and race hub area
· VIP Package options offered to Destination Marathon Race-Seekers
We are working overtime to bring our competitors a time-and-a-half’s effort for a race-and-a-half worth of memories. We hope you more than take our word for it and see for yourself as we bring the 2nd Annual Asheville Marathon and inaugural Biltmore Half Marathon to America’s Largest Backyard in March of 2014!