THE BACKYARD TO VINEYARD CHALLENGE
Complete both the Asheville Marathon & Half in 2018
– or –
THE BACKYARD TO BACKYARD CHALLENGE
Complete both Half Marathons in 2018
THE BACKYARD TO VINEYARD CHALLENGEComplete both the Asheville Marathon & Half in 2017!
The Challenge is the opportunity to run two events in two days! The Backyard to Vineyard Challenge allows participants to run the half marathon on Saturday and the full marathon on Sunday. The Backyard to Backyard Challenge presents the challenge of running two half marathons in one weekend. The special privilege to run on Biltmore Estate is like none-other, and by opening this challenge up to runners, we are inviting them to experience running 26.2 or 39.3 miles all on the estate property on the same weekend! Participants that complete the challenge will receive one-of-a-kind swag for our finishers. The Backyard to Vineyard Challenge and Backyard to Backyard Challenge have limited entries available. We expect these spots to fill up well in advance of race day.
These races are held exclusively on the grounds at Biltmore Estate, where runners will explore 26.2 or 39.3 miles of America’s largest backyard. Marathon runners will wind through hardwood forests, meadows, gardens, and extraordinary views of the estate. Along the way, runners will pass landmarks including Biltmore House and gardens, America’s largest and most esteemed private residence. The 250-room French Renaissance chateau, perched over 8,000-acres of meticulously-tended gardens, is host to a million visitors a year.
To learn more about Biltmore, visit www.biltmore.com or call 877-BILTMORE.
Backyard to Vineyard Challenge Finishers will receive Three Commemorative Finisher Awards: a Half Marathon Woodalion, Full Marathon Woodalion and Special-Edition Challenge Medal. In addition, Challengers will receive an exclusive Finisher’s apparel item, bragging rights and the opportunity to race two days on the beautiful Estate!
Backyard to Backyard Challenge Finishers will receive Three Commemorative Finisher Awards: a Saturday Half Marathon Woodalion, a Sunday Half Marathon Woodalion and Special-Edition Challenge Medal. And, bragging rights and the opportunity to race two days on the beautiful Estate!
The Backyard to Vineyard Challenge is the ultimate 39.3 mile running adventure in America’s Largest Backyard. Change your life and start your journey by signing up today!
Limited entries available.
Our water stations provide a variety of options and choices to support your race experience and personal preference. We offer gels and electrolyte drinks and many stations will have a selection of fruit and cookies. All stations will have water.
Vote for your favorite volunteer water station after the race, and select a volunteer group, like our 2015 winner Girls on the Run of Western NC, to get crowned as Volunteer Water Station of the Year! More information about the Water Station Contest on our Volunteer Info page.
GET TO KNOW YOUR 2017 FULL MARATHON WATER STATIONS:
- Deerpark – Mile 2 – Water Only
- Biltmore House – Mile 5 – CLIF Gels, Water, Electrolyte Drink
- Bearpen – Mile 7 1/2 & 23 1/2 – CLIF Gels, Ally’s Bars, Coke, Fruit & Cookies, Water, Electrolyte Drink
- French Broad River – Mile 9, 22 1/2 & 24 1/2 – CLIF Gels, Ally’s Bars, Coke, Fruit & Cookies, Water, Electrolyte Drink
- Dairy Road/Line House Road – Mile 18 & 20 — CLIF Gels, Ally’s Bars, Coke, Fruit & Cookies, Water, Electrolyte Drink
- West Side Bridge – Mile 11 – CLIF Gels, Ally’s Bars, Coke, Fruit & Cookies, Water, Electrolyte Drink
- Alta Vista – Mile 12 1/2 & 13 1/2 – CLIF Gels, Ally’s Bars, Coke, Fruit & Cookies, Water, Electrolyte Drink
- Pine Top – Mile 15 1/2 – CLIF Gels, Ally’s Bars, Coke, Fruit & Cookies, Water, Electrolyte Drink
GET TO KNOW YOUR 2017 HALF MARATHON WATER STATIONS:
- Deerpark – Mile 2 – Water Only
- Biltmore House – Mile 5 – CLIF Gels, Water, Electrolyte Drink
- Bearpin – Mile 7 1/2 – CLIF Gels, Coke, Fruit & Cookies, Water, Electrolyte Drink
- French Broad River – Mile 9 – CLIF Gels, Ally’s Bars, Coke, Fruit & Cookies, Water, Electrolyte Drink
- Dairy Rd./Line House Rd. – Mile 11 & 12.5 – CLIF Gels, Ally’s Bars, Coke, Fruit & Cookies, Water, Electrolyte Drink
“I have told many people that I firmly believe the Asheville Marathon course helped me prepare for the Boston Marathon, which also has a few hills (most of them in the second half, including “Heartbreak Hill”). I ran my best Boston Marathon time ever this year.” – Francine Robinson (participant – 2nd Place in Women 55-59)
“Firstly, just wanted to thank you on a really incredible event. I’ve run marathons in 16 states and I have to say this is one of the top 5 I’ve run. The staff was fantastic, super friendly and the course was so well marked. The aid stations were also really well stocked, which makes a huge difference. Everything about the race was well done. Thank you for all your work.”
–Vincent Rossmeier – top 5 men
- Exclusive use of the estate roads for running in the event. Minimal to no vehicular traffic on the east and west sides makes this destination marathon and half event even more serene, authentic & exquisitely beautiful.
- Race headquarters hotel reserved room blocks or a Biltmore Farms hotel. Have the convenience of walking out the front door of your hotel to the start line and stay at the Inn on Biltmore Estate or the new Village Hotel at Biltmore.
- Staying off-site? We offer a convenient VIP Race Day Shuttle Transportation Service to the start line and from the finish, for just $10. More Info on our Directions & Transportation page.
- Personalized race number (bib)
- Goody bag full of freebies – rated the best race bag swag ever!
- Official custom-designed participant t-shirt (available only at Race Expo)
- Finishers Award
- Post-race food including beer from Michelob Ultra
- Post-race bag-check area
The 6th Annual Asheville Marathon & Half are limited to 3,050 runners (1,525 per day) and will sell out quickly. Approximately 1/3 of the marathon race is run on paved surfaces and the other 2/3 of the marathon are on packed dirt and gravel roads. The half marathon course will follow the same roads for the first ten miles as the marathon course, however only marathoners get to run across the bridge to the West Side of the Estate. Half Marathoners will continue the final three miles of their run on the east side of the estate – along the flat, dirt carriage roads beside the French Broad River.
No Expo or Race Day Registration Available.
Other ways to get an entry into the Half or the Full Marathon at Biltmore:
- Race with one of our Charity Partners: (limited entries available).
- Sign up for one of exclusive VIP Packages (limited entries available).
Participants under 18 must have a parent or legal guardian sign their Registration Waiver for all events. We do not recommend that participants under 18 run in the full marathon event, minimum age for marathon is 16 years old. There is no age maximum, if you can run, you are welcome!
We are sorry, but we do not offer refunds for this event.
NOTE: You may not GIVE your entry to a friend to run in your place! Due to USATF rules and regulations, each participant must register themselves and sign their own waiver. Any runner who is participating with another participant’s bib number will be disqualified. Photo ID’s and bib numbers will be checked at the race expo as well as at the entrance to the estate on race morning. Any runner on the race course without a bib will be pulled from the race immediately.
The spectator fee is an entrance fee for spectators to get on to Biltmore Estate property, which is privately owned and not open to the general public.
ONE DAY TICKETS:
- $18 + tax for Biltmore Annual Passholders
- $23 + tax for those without Annual Pass
- Upgrade to house visit $29 + tax
- Upgrade to annual pass $69 + tax
TWO DAY TICKETS:
- $28 + tax for Biltmore Annual Passholders
- $33 + tax for those without Annual Pass
~Runners that want to visit the house on Friday or Monday will need to purchase a $33 + tax (two day ticket) plus the adult upgrade ticket $29 + tax
~Runner + Spectator tickets can be upgraded for house visits on race day at one of the Guest Service kiosks on the Biltmore Estate – NOT at the Race Expo. Upgrades can be purchased at the Group Sales Office on Biltmore on Friday, March 16 (with race/spectator ticket in hand) until the office closes at 5pm and from 6:00am-5pm on Saturday, March 17 & Sunday, March 18. They can also be purchased at the main ticket center from 8:30am-6:30pm and Biltmore’s other guest service locations on property during Biltmore’s normal operating hours.
Spectators tickets available for purchase on the following dates and locations:
March 16, 2018 – Half Marathon/Marathon Race Expo – 11:00 am-7:00 pm – at DoubleTree Hotel
Race Mornings at Group Sales Office at Biltmore Estate beginning at 6:00 am
The Asheville Marathon & Half has great Charity Partners, who allow you to 'Run for a Cause', and the support of great Sponsors, like Chi-Running, who offers Training Programs geared towards Asheville Marathon & Half participants with professional tips and guidance to help you run the marathon faster, easier, and with less pain!
The Asheville Marathon is a certified race course and a Boston Marathon Qualifying event! USATF Sanction #16-13-044 and Certification Code #NC14024DF
Appalachian Distance Series of races has added the Asheville Marathon & Half to its Distance Series of the Southeast. Series includes: Asheville, Knoxville, Townsend, Chattanooga, and Oak Ridge. Complete all the races inside a twelve month period to earn your series finisher medal. Be sure to check out appalachiandistanceseries.org to get our event specific coupon codes.
Join us for one of the most exciting challenges of 2017!